Friday, March 14, 2008

in the midst of drought

It would be an understatement to say that it’s gotten increasingly dry and dusty ‘round these parts. March and April are by far the hottest months of the year in Nicaragua, and this year is no exception. Everywhere I look the fields are brown, the dry earth increasingly charred by fire, and yet the trees, well, the trees are inexplicably green (albeit not the vibrant green of winter).

It’s a phenomenon that has made me stop and reflect in the last several days. How in the world can these trees still bloom amidst the drought in which we are living? What is the secret to their continued life?

From somewhere in the back of my mental archives, where scientific knowledge not used since high school is stored, the answer came.

It’s all about the roots!

Despite all evidence to the contrary, moisture can still be found in this land after 3 months of drought, moisture stored well below the surface of the earth, moisture only accessible to the most complex and persistent root systems developed through years of experience with this 3 month period of survival. All energy is conserved, all blooming and growth ceases, to ensure that the moisture stored in the heart of the tree’s roots is sufficient to outlast the dry season. And then when the rains of May come, we see the fruit of all of this careful planning—a burst of new eye-popping green everywhere you turn.

For various reasons, shared and unshared, this has been a very dry season for me personally. The condition of my heart has mirrored the color of the earth on which I walk each day. And as I have cried and thought and prayed, I have come to the conclusion that I must become like one of these trees that I admire so much.

I must dig deeper. I must fight harder.
.
I must search for the living water somewhere deep within the well of my soul that is still there, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I must not give up. Oh, please, may I not give up!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

praying as such, dear pammie. it will not always be this way.

Dawn said...

pam, another thought: i've been contemplating the mention of trees in scripture a lot lately, in psalms & other places - i think it's a great thing to meditate on, such a wonderful metaphor.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful metaphor..and your "Celestial...arising". Very similar thoughts really. How we are so nurtured by God's love and faith in us to rise above the worldly things that can easily keep us down. And how his beautiful miraculous creation of our world shows us how...a blessed and joyful Easter. Rejoice for this is the day that the Lord has made. A new beginning; a refreshment time for our souls. And it comes just as perfectly in the springtime. The earth is renewed and refreshed and so shall we be. In Christ.

Anonymous said...

You seem to be going through trying times. I am older and as I look back I can only say that through happy times and tragedy, good times and bad, through very dark times and joy I have come to realize that God's timing is perfect. That His plan is perfect. Humble yourself to Him and let him lead you. We, as humans try to run everything for ourselves. We want to see progress in our lives. But the Lord knows best for us. Be patient and have faith. He loves all of his children and He will always lead you down the right path and reward you with His love and joy in your life. Slow down and listen to Him. Walk his walk and find his joy in your life. In Christ.