Wednesday, December 10, 2008

robbed!

Okay, so this actually happened almost three weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to venting about it.

So a few Fridays ago, right when the post-election drama began to calm down (at least enough for us to be able to leave the house), Andrea and I decided to go meet some friends at the mall for dinner. Galerias Mall, to be exact, on the trendy southside of town, which just happens to be the ritziest mall in all of Managua. It was a nice night and we decided that we'd sit outside and enjoy the fresh air instead of freezing in the air conditioning.

I put my purse down by my feet--something I actually hardly ever do, because I'm hardly ever in a place where putting anything on the ground is a wise idea--and we proceeded to order beverages. Soon afterwards, a random guy came by our table asking if we knew "tal Senora" and for about 2 minutes, all 4 of us had our attention totally on this guy.

He left, we continued talking, and all of a sudden I looked down, and my purse was gone. Someone had reached in through the patio fence separating us from the public walkway and grabbed it. I couldn't believe it. How many times have I been in some random taxi in the middle of the night, or on the bus with my laptop smooshed against strangers, and THIS is where it happens???? In the middle of a nice restaurant in the wealthiest sector of town??? I just kept shaking my head in disbelief.

Of course after I got through the shock stage, I immediately canceled my bank card and that weekend got new keys copied and eventually a new phone to replace what had been stolen. I was at least grateful for the fact that neither my new driver's license, my passport, nor my camera were in my purse. I probably would have lost it.

Nevertheless, thanks to the many challenges of getting mail from the USA to here, I have now been living without a new bank card for 3 weeks, borrowing from roommates, sending money through PayPal to people, and basically trying to maximize every cent of my "efectivo" to avoid having to get more money somehow.

I have to say that this has been quite a stressful situation for me, as even though I live on a fairly tight budget, I normally still feel fairly independent when it comes to making purchases. But knowing I have to make money last a week instead of 2-3 days has made me think twice about taking a taxi when a bus will do, has made me eat oatmeal for dinner instead of going to the fritanga, and has made me decline social outings "por pena" of not wanting to borrow money (even knowing that eventually I could totally pay it back.)

Perhaps I've inadvertantly gotten a better glimpse of what life is like for my Nica friends who know the price per media libra of everything in the market, who count the change in their purse and rarely have more than C$200 ($10) on their person, and who would never take a taxi, even at night because they just can't afford it.

I guess I just need to get over it. I mean, after all, for me, this is just a temporary inconvenience. But for others--it's life as usual.

3 comments:

mystereiss said...

I'm glad everything has worked out and you got a lesson through it all!

When I lived in Hungary, Dave & I went back to Prague for a weekend for a school dance/function, and on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of Old Town Square in the heart of downtown, someone stole my wallet & cd player (remember those?) right out of my backpack - WHILE DAVE WAS WEARING IT. We had all kinds of techniques for wearing backpacks carefully and being on the lookout for thieves, and this was just one of those times when we got "too" comfortable - too safe. (We had been living in Europe for 2 years at that point). Unlike you, it had everything in it, including my passport, soc. sec. card, DL, american, hungarian, and czech money, and all the plastic. I mean, come on. We had to postpone our return to Hungary a few days until I could get a replacement passport, and call in to work. :) Eventually, I got it all replaced, which was interesting, because I was moving back to the States and getting married (changing my name) just 7 short months later. Lots of work! I learned how silly it was of me to keep all my valuables in one place like that. Let this be a lesson to everyone! :)

pamela said...

i totally remember you telling that story at some point...i don't know if it was in one of your prayer letters i got? anyway, it's true that danger always strikes when you get a little too comfortable. i am headed to guatemala next week and i know i need to be extra vigilant because it's not as safe as here.

Sharis said...

Pam,

So sorry to hear someone stole your purse, but glad your passport was not in there.
Shavonne and her friend were staying a hostel and someone tried to steal her freinds backpack while she was sleeping. She had tied it to the bed post and woke to catch the theif in action!