Saturday, February 17, 2007

a noche buena

Okay, so I know I have sounded down in the dumps lately. So, tonight I took my happiness into my own hands and decided to go out for the evening. First, I had a delicious burger (only my 2nd here in Nicaragua) and frappaccino at a local coffee hotspot (I know that sounds weird, but Casa de Cafe, in addition to all its great coffee drinks, smoothies, and desserts, also serves up some unique and hearty hamburguesas.)

Then, I walked off my dinner in the blissfully cool late afternoon shade, and got half lost trying to find the house where there was going to be an outdoor viewing of Al Gore's documentary, An Inconvenient Truth. (It's easy to get lost when the directions are: from Channel 23, 1/2 block toward the lake, 30 yards to the right, where Radio Pirata used to be). Once I got there, I was glad, because the viewing location was on top of this hill where there was a gorgeous view of the southern side of Managua and a strong breeze blowing. [Yes, I have been really hot lately. And yes, I am jealous of any and all of you reading this who have experienced any temperature below 50 in the last week. Be grateful.]


But I digress. So, this film, while compelling, doesn't exactly inspire happiness (I actually was very moved and cried at the end thinking about the devastating environmental realities facing our generation), but it was fun to get out of the house and be around some people who are part of the culturally and socially active crowd here in Managua. In 10 months, I can count the instances on one hand when I have gone out alone at night. But I think I have decided I should do so more often.


Then, on the ride home, my taxi driver (an avid boxing fan, in case you were interested) asked me if I was of Spanish descent. I'll take that as a compliment, I think, and call it a buena noche.

No comments: