Monday, October 24, 2005

enough

i wrote this poem upon returning from the Dominican Republic last year. i reread it periodically to remind myself how i felt about the glorification of excess in our culture after a time away from it.

aisle after aisle of colorful displays
compete for my attention
playing on emotion
so much more than what I really need
>
sign after sign drawing my attention
advertising more stuff than I have breath to mention
causing me to question, "am I missing out?"
>
shiny paper in my mailbox,
alluring pictures in the black box
images all screaming at me
"don't you know that money talks?"
>
a convincing oasis disintegrates into a pile of sand
no thirst can be quenched in this barren land
yet an eternal spring of water lies undiscovered in our midst
waiting for us to open our hearts and unclench our fists
where we hold treasures days away from rust
rather than steadfast love for the One who created us from dust
if only we could let go of all the glitter and gold
and fully embrace the living hope that in JesusChrist we hold

2 comments:

soupablog said...

would you mind if i set this to music?
--paul

pamela said...

no, go ahead. : )