Friday, October 21, 2005

viva books and bonhoeffer

I admit it: I am a bookaholic. I have 5 books sitting on my table at home, only 2 of which I am actually reading. I visit amazon.com every week to see what’s been added to my recommended list. And I love going to the bookstore. I could spend hours there. Last night I was at Viva Books (one of my new favorite places on earth) perusing the shelves before a talk on Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The gentleman who came to talk about Bonhoeffer, Dean Skelley, brought an impressive collection of books about the German theologian with him to share with his audience. In quick but thorough fashion, Dean shared with us the unique features of each work dedicated to various aspects of Bonhoeffer’s life, theology, and legacy. He also gave us an extensive handout, summarizing Bonhoeffer’s life from his childhood in Berlin to the sequence of events that led to his death at the hands of Nazis in 1945. Although I had read two of Bonhoeffer’s most well known works, Cost of Discipleship and Life Together, I knew little about his personal background and how he was influenced by his experiences abroad, including time in Barcelona, New York, and London. Bonhoeffer’s theology is as captivating and relevant today as it was in the 1930-40s. His five problems with religion (overemphasis on individualism, portraying God as distant, dividing life into sacred and secular, seeking religious protection through societal privilege, and false dependence on God) still exist in various forms today. Perhaps the most controversial element of Bonhoeffer’s theology, however, was his commitment to pacificism.

“There can only be a community of peace when it does not rest on lies and injustice…there can only be a community of peace for Christians when people choose to forgive each other for their sins. This forgiveness of sins still remains the sole ground of all peace, even where the order of external peace remains preserved in truth and justice.” (Bonhoeffer)

In 1934, Bonhoeffer gave a speech at a conference in Denmark, in which he said:

“There is no way to peace along the way of safety. For peace must be dared, it is itself the great venture, and can never be safe. Peace is the opposite of security…peace means giving oneself completely to God’s commandment, wanting no security, but in faith and obedience laying the destiny of the nations in the hand of Almighty God, not trying to direct it for selfish purposes…[Battles] are won when the way leads to the cross.”


This is a remarkable statement for a man who deeply loved his country, but also recognized that unless it was destroyed, it could never become beautiful again. Often patriotism is defined today as support for the military, the actions of the government, or national interests. As an American, I feel an intense love for my country and want the best for it. As a Christian, my final loyalty is not to any kingdom on this earth, but to Christ’s eternal kingdom. Therefore, I hold loosely to the security and privilege that comes from my earthly citizenship and prayerfully lay the destiny of my country in the hands of God alone.

No comments: