Saturday, February 18, 2006

a little subplot

While most of my attention of late has been focused on leaving the country, there is this interesting ongoing subplot in my life, namely a Moroccan guy I met online last fall. Despite enormous physical distance, A. has become someone I care about very much. We've talked about everything from Moroccan history to religion to musical preferences...

This week he sent me an original piano composition (4:31 in length) that I listened to over and over at the office. It's a beautiful, haunting melody and a precious gift from his heart. (If anyone reading wants to hear it, email me.) A. is a teacher in a rural community called Sidi Rahal and plays in a band in his spare time. (And he knows way more about American and world music than I do! He introduced me to a band called Keane last fall that I now listen to every week.)

He calls me his muse, and why not? In his dreams I can be whoever he wants me to be. I know I will never meet this poetic soul with a gentle heart and inquiring mind, but I am nonetheless grateful for the gifts of conversation, music, and French phrases he has added to my life. (Merci, mon cherie!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you'll still be able to keep in contact with him when you go, since I assume you'll have periodic internet access.

And I'd like to hear the song.

pamela said...

Indeed. My internet access will be pretty regular in Managua--but definitely limited when I travel outside the capital.

The song will be in your email box in the next 24 hours or so. : )

soupablog said...

okay, i'm hooked too. i gotta hear the song. please forward.