Wednesday, February 01, 2006

sotu redux


I like to think of myself as an optimist. This explains my decision to partake in the pomp and circumstance of the State of the Union Address last night.

Surprisingly, I only found myself talking back to the tv on 3 or 4 occasions (and there were of course several moments where I wanted to roll my eyes, like when Bush’ Texas twang came out on his line about wanting to know if people inside our country are “talkin' to Al Quaida”). While I was annoyed by Bush’s standard rhetoric about Iraq and freedom and terror (Is there anything new that can really be said on these topics? We all know where the President stands, and as far as I can tell, he’s not moving), there were some bright spots which I think worthy of mention:
Stating that “America is addicted to oil” and proposing funding for cleaner solutions
Championing increased funding for math and science teachers
Advocating for a line-item veto
Admitting change in military and reconstruction tactics in Iraq
Mentioning the government’s commitment to New Orleans
Supporting increased funding for HIV/AIDS programs
It’s just rhetoric unless he and the Congress follow through, but at this point, I’ll take what I can get.

(Personal aside to friends in VA: Gov. Kaine seems like a nice, likeable, and reasonable guy. Y'all are lucky to have him.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The line-item veto really confused me, because it was already declared unconstitutional in Clinton v. City of New York. 5 of the justices who struck it down at the time are still on the bench, so even the "new Supreme Court math" argument doesn't hold. That was the biggest head-scratcher of the whole night. Well, that and reducing student-loan aid being subsumed under budget cuts for programs that don't "meet essential priorities".

I voted for Kaine, but I don't think he came off nearly as well here as he did on the campaign trail. He was nervous.