Monday, April 10, 2006

small graces in hard places

I'm home (at least for the next 3 weeks). The journey back across the sea from the D.R. to the U.S. was not without sadness and frustration, however. As our learning community slowly parted ways in each airport, I felt like I was leaving a part of myself behind with each person who had become so dear to me over the last few weeks. Frantic waves, airblown kisses, shouted expressions of love and blessing, and tight embraces cannot tell the entire story of our abiding care for one another, but they are the fruit of our shared time together in Eco Village, Boca Chica.

By the time I reached Dallas Saturday night, I was more than ready for a pint of friendship and a familiar bed. However, thanks to stormy weather in Philly (don't ask), my flight into DFW was delayed just long enough for me to miss my connecting flight (the last of the night) back to SA. Standing tearfully at the airline counter--all the emotion of the day finally taking its toll--I was rebooked on an early flight Sunday morning. As I turned around to go find a cot and a blanket, a tall blond woman approached me and asked if I was planning to sleep in the airport that night--and if I was, could we stick together ("there's safety in numbers, right?" she said). Not having any other bright ideas and definitely not wanting to be alone, I agreed.

It turned out that my new friend Jen was from CA, on her way to Honduras, where she had taught for 3 years and was now returning for a visit. We quickly discovered we had quite a bit in common--including a mutual interest in U2, the ONE campaign, and Latin America. After sharing with her my own plans to move to Nicaragua next month and work with FH, she asked if I was a Christian. I told her I was, and the next words out of her mouth were, "Wow, me too! I was just praying that God would send me someone to spend the night with here...so you are an answered prayer!"

She was an answered prayer too. Even though the airport was freezing, and I only got about 2 hours of sleep in an internet cafe chair, God sent me an angel, a kindred spirit, a listening ear, a touch of warmth, and a little bit of grace in a hard place.

Gloria a Dios. It's good to be home.

1 comment:

Amy Soupiset said...

Welcome home Pamela. What an encouraging story you have just shared. I am glad that you felt God's presence and provision. We would love to see you on Good Friday if you can make it. 7:30 at the Burns' house.