Monday, May 29, 2006

chickens on board!

I wish I had a photo of this, but you will just have to use your imagination on this one. This morning my friend Heather and I boarded a bus to Santa Maria for a Mother´s Day program. It was just like any other trip on the Chinandega-bound bus until a Nica woman boarded carrying a huge burlap bag with 3 small holes, out of which poked the heads of 3 live chickens! The woman held the bag over her head as she walked down the aisle of the bus and these 3 chickens literally passed right over me as she searched for a seat further back on the bus. Believe it or not, the chickens seemed quite tranquil, despite their captivity...

(Aside: Mother´s Day is May 30th here and it is a huge deal. All the kids have the day off from school and instead of giving cards and families going out to lunch, there are these huge productions at all the schools and most of the churches involving music and dance and poems and gifts. Will post photos later this week.)

2 comments:

Sharis said...

Pam,

A similar thing happened to me in Russia!

Andrew J. Hill said...

Dear Pamela,

Just wanted to write, and send my prayers for your work. God Bless you for taking such a bold step!

P.S. Loved the story about the chickens!