Thursday, May 04, 2006

the first day...

Well, I made it! At approximately 9pm local time last night, my plane landed in Managua International Airport and I entered the tedious customs process, after which I learned that my luggage had arrived the night before and was being stored in a warehouse nearby which I could not access until today, and thus I would have to go 12 more hours in the clothes I left San Antonio in on Tuesday. A small price to pay for a safe arrival!

I was met at the airport by Kim Brown, the FHI/Nic country director here, who was ecstatic to see me, given her long wait, two nights in a row, for my arrival. We drove through town in the dark, so it was difficult to form any impressions...but I will say that there were many similarities to my experiences in other Latin American countries. Crazy traffic, crowded streets with vendors of many kinds, houses of various condition, and political posters stapled to poles everywhere.

After about 30 minutes, we arrived at the home of the Aherns (Shannon and Kathy), who live and work in Colonia Becklin, the barrio in which the Nehemiah Center is located. After some small talk and introductions, we headed for bed. It took me less time than I expected to get used to the intermittently loud barking of dogs in the neighborhood and to forget that mosquitos were hovering over me justing itching for a meal. I slept well until daylight, when I was awakened by the sounds of the Ahern´s daughter getting ready for school. Breakfast consisted of a smoothie, bagel, and fruit, and then it was off to the Nehemiah Center to meet the other staff.

I confess most of their names are still a blur, except for Antonio, who was given the task of accompanying me back to the airport to pick up my luggage later that morning. Being an extrovert, he was eager to share his insights into the city with me, and we spent an hour after our airport errand touring the famous sites in Managua--the President´s house, the old cathedral, Lago Managua (huge!), and some of the other statues and landmarks in the area, including a statue of Ruben Dario, the most famous Nicaraguan poet in history, and remnants of the Somoza era here. I was amazed by all of the trees--Managua is a very green place! It was a visually impressive and stirring experience, being introduced to the city in this way. (I did take some pictures, which I will post the next time I am able to use a computer.)

In the meantime, here is the plan for the next couple days of my life here--tomorrow I will be attending a Nehemiah Center Servant Leadership Conference for indigenous leaders, eating dinner with Kim Brown (my boss) and meeting some of the other international staff. Saturday I travel with Kim and another IS, Heather, to Leon, where I will spend the next month or so. I´ll try to post again once I´m there. In the meantime, know that I am blessed here with new friends, a growing love for the culture and temperment of my new neighbors, and only a few small mosquito bites!

Hasta nos vemos!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hm! that sounds good
i'd like to talk to you as soon as poosible and good luck for you in this adventure

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your eventual arrival was mostly smooth. I look forward to the lovely pictures.

And tell those mosquitoes that I said to leave you alone.

Sharis said...

Pam,

How exciting so far!

pamela said...

Thanks for the comments, y'all! Finally some pictures too...