Tuesday, March 06, 2007

in the land of sugar and rum

Chichigalpa, that is. As the home of Nicaragua’s best rum (no, I have not tried it) and a major sugar processing plant (not to mention their beautiful view of Volcan San Cristobal), you might think that the population of 70,000+ is doing pretty well.

Unfortunately, this is far from the truth, as I found out during my visit to the area today. But let me first share the simultaneously humorous, frustrating, and long story of my arrival in the community.

The first thing you should know is that I (in a rare moment of unpreparedness) did not have the cell phone # of Pastor David (with whom I was supposed to meet at 10am) with me. So, I did the next best thing--I tried to think back to my last visit and visualize where his church and house were located. Thankfully, their church Ciudad de Dios is fairly well known in the area, and I arrived at the church doorstep without incident. However, the church was locked and no one was around. I asked next door, and they directed me to a pulperia down the road where supposedly someone knew David. So I walked 2 blocks, bought some bread, and inquired again. No luck.

Feeling a little uncertain but still determined, I headed down the street in the direction I thought their house was located. Along the way, several people asked me if I was lost, and tried to help me. Finally I decided the easiest thing to do would be to head toward the fire department, because I remembered that their house was right around the corner.

Sure enough, I reached the fire department and wandered down the street trying to remember what color their house was. No dice. I had no clue. None. At the corner were 3 women in aprons selling freshly cut fruit, so I asked for what felt like the 100th time if anyone knew David or Judith. One of the older women, Juliana, seemed to think she did, so we walked down the street, but upon reaching the house, one of the neighbors said, “Oh, they’ve moved. Now they are living over by Carmelita’s bakery.”

[Insert serious incredulity here. Since when do people move without telling you?]

Fortunately, this bakery is a landmark and I was able to get a second taxi to take me there. Of course, parked right in front was their car, and David standing on his porch looking slightly surprised and perplexed. By this point, you see, it was 11am, and David had given up all hope that I was coming. But I prefer to think that rather than feeling frustrated, he found me resourceful, in that I managed to find his new home without his help.

And now (briefly) on to the purpose of my visit. Pastor David is one of 7 in the Chinandega department initiating HIV/AIDS training and outreach with the support of the Nehemiah Center. I was there to talk to him more about that, learn more about the community, and meet some of the youth leaders implementing this program. Because of my late arrival, the plan changed a bit and he took me over to the local Centro de Salud, where I met with a few doctors and staff to learn about the services offered and limitations of the facility. After the health center visit, David, Judith and I drove to Chinandega city so that I could visit with their adolescent and youth leaders who were participating in a training there and talk to them about the HIV/AIDs programming they have done. Both women spoke animatedly about their ministry—but I will save the rest of the details of this trip for another post, as this one is so long I doubt anyone is still reading. : )

No comments: