Monday, March 26, 2007

a promise in the desert

It's real dry (and dusty) these days in Nicaragua. So dry that I'm dehydrated before I even realize it. And when I start to drink a glass of water, I can't believe how thirsty I let myself become.

I suppose that is a metaphor for my spiritual life as well. If you read my newsletters, you know I've mentioned on a couple of occasions how much I am longing to find a small group community within a local Nica church in which to be nurtured and grow. Lately, the instances in which I have experienced anything resembling community have been like an oasis in a desert. A few minutes on the phone with a friend from home. An email from a sister in Christ. An act of service from a stranger. A moment of shared laughter and meaningful conversation. And each time I wonder how I survived so long without this water for the soul.

Tonight God's Word spoke a promise into my desert.

"As the rain and snow come down from heaven and do not return to it without watering the earth, and making it bud and flourish...so is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty but will...achieve the purpose for which I sent it... You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace...Instead of the thornbrush will grow the pine tree and instead of the briers the myrtle will grow." (Isaiah 55:10-13, selected)

So, dear reader, if you are a praying person, please pray I will be looking for the pine tree and the myrtle...

1 comment:

soupablog said...

pine. myrtle. check.