Saturday, July 14, 2007

a graduation, a dance, and a question

Today I was extremely privileged to witness the graduation of my good Nica friend Darling from law school. The event took place in one of the nicest hotels in Managua--meaning I was freezing to death because the air conditioning went right through my black sweater, and that the dinner that followed was delicious but very American, and served very late (like an hour ago).

One of Darling's friends from the university asked me to dance, and so for the first time in Nicaragua I got my groove on in the middle of the hotel ballroom with a guy I had known for exactly 5 minutes. I was dressed up, which I never am, wearing heeled sandals that I never wear (totally impractical here), and feeling flirtatious, which I never do. And it didn't help that one of Darling's brothers (a med school grad doing his residency in Cuba!) was totally flirting back.

I won't lie. The attention felt good. But is my mini-existential crisis (see previous post and comments) helped by this? Stay tuned for a more detailed reflection on this tomorrow.

1 comment: