Sunday, October 12, 2008

"flirty 30s"

As much as I have tried to adopt to the culture here, there is one thing I just have not been able to do--namely, become like the great majority of women here who put great effort into their appearance. Even on the bus, fancy blouses, high heels, perfectly touched make-up, and color coordinated jewelry on the ladies are common sights. But for as long as I can remember, I have been the get up-shower-get dressed-out the door kind of gal (I think I honed the 15 minute routine my freshman year when I had an 8:30am class).

So here in Nicaragua, my low maintenance self is even more pronounced because of how quickly and easily I get sweaty and dirty. For me, there seems to be little point to the whole charade of hairdos and makeup and nice clothes. (I mean, as long as I'm clean and not wrinkled...)

But, every once in a while, there's a reason to go through the effort of dressing up--this weekend, it was one of the Dordt students (Sonya) who was staying at our house. Upon learning that my roommate and I were going out to dinner and a concert with some girlfriends, she proceeded to insist that I should paint my toenails, wear my cutest clothes, put on all kinds of make-up (even eyeliner, which I NEVER wear), and let her do my hair. "You're in your sexy, flirty thirties, Pamela," she said. (Meanwhile, I am laughing my head off.)

Sonya was really into it, though, so I played along, and I have to admit it was fun to be girly for a couple of hours and wear some clothes that under normal circumstances, I would never EVER wear in a culture where women attract attention just by breathing close to men.

So, 45 minutes later, this (above) was me and Andrea ("we're kinda like the odd couple" I joked as we walked out, given our very different clothing choices that night), ready to hit the town. (She loves to make funny faces in photos.) :-) We had a great time with our girlfriends--we ate at this hip new Peruvian restaurant and then attended an awesome Carlos Mejia Godoy concert--he and his band are just amazingly talented.

(But no, no flirting for me.)

4 comments:

mystereiss said...

wow! hottie!! are you really in your thirties pam? if so that means i've been there for awhile. am i really that old?? :)

you look fabuloso!! and i'm sure you attracted the attention of more than one dude that night.

this morning i wore my hair down for the first time in like 2 weeks! i even brushed it!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Dawn said...

ps that was me. hate when that happens.

pamela said...

yeah, i really am. i turned 30 last december. it's crazy.

Sharis said...

I think ya'll look awesome!