Monday, November 24, 2008

There is a moment from my senior year of high school that encapsulates my secondary school experience and haunts me into my adult years…

I am sitting cross legged on the heater in the small hallway outside the drama department classroom which doubled as the set for the one-act play I had been cast in. Around me are 20 something fellow students, most of whom I have known for four years or more. The chatter and laughter bubbles up around me, and I watch in silence.

Later, at home, I write these words, a poem and a song:
I’m not a part of your world
I’m not a part of your world
There’s a circle all around me
But all I am is background…

And it goes on. It’s quite the depressing tune. But it represents a feeling I have often had, in many groups throughout the years, that even in a crowd, I am still alone. Even among friends, I am alone. Even within the community of faith, I am alone. For as much as I have sought to be fully known and loved, for as often as I have gone madly confessional in this space and in more intimate conversations with friends in the hopes of being understood, there remains a part of me that will never, can never be known this side of heaven. And I suppose that is part of what has fed the perpetual doubts in my mind and heart about the love and acceptance others have for me, despite every evidence to the contrary.

In some ways, I suppose a healthy skepticism of other’s proclaimed affection can be a useful defense against pain and hurt. It can also lead to looking for manifestations of love in the wrong places, places that appear “safer” but actually are much more destructive. Or it might mean rejecting even healthy forms of intimacy in relationships for fear of an impending rejection, or because of the inevitable realization that no person can fill my need for love completely.

I’ve been in all of these places, both before I came to Nicaragua and since. But now I am trying to move into a new place, a space beyond fear and dependence, a space where transparency and vulnerability are sacred gifts to be given with much forethought and care, a space where I can better accept and appreciate the imperfect yet sincere love of those around me in its manifold expressions.

I like to think of this space as a garden…a garden I have only just begun to cultivate. But one that I hope will bear much fruit in season.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Pam, I read this post yesterday. I really love it. You have done so much in your time in Nica - and God has done so much in your heart. It is a privilege to watch what He's doing, and I thank you for sharing your heart.

Heather Olson said...

I came across this quote in a book I'm writing a paper on: “The memory of exclusion suffered is itself a form of exclusion.” The book is "Exclusion & Embrace" by Miroslav Volf. As long as we remember past hurts, they became part of our present & we're still hurt by them. I have no idea if you'll think it's relevant, but it reminded me of your post.

pamela said...

thanks, ladies.

heather, that is a great quote and totally relevant not only to my post, but to my life. i have been wanting to read Volf for some time. perhaps this summer when i come home.

paz.

Anonymous said...

Exclusion & Embrace is a great work. Volf's life is an essay.

Great post, Pam. I think most of us feel this way most of the time, actually.

Unknown said...

Oh Pam,

Thank you for sharing this. I resonate with parts of your journey, and I am inspired by your seeking to create a new space for yourself, a very intentional space, where you seek to honor yourself, and those you love. I think it is a beautiful thing indeed.

I got your note about meeting up in Phoenix, and I would love to. I will still be in L.A. at the time and am not sure what that will all look like in relation to final exams and graduation. But, would you mind letting me know if you know firm dates? I hope it can work out.

Love...