Wednesday, December 14, 2005

'tis the gift to be simple

There's posts all over the blogosphere about the commercialization of Christmas, so what's one more?

I just read a fabulous idea in the comments of a blog from this guy about helping children develop the spirit of giving at Christmastime. He said that his family gives a gift to each child and then they each give up one of their favorite used toys to donate to a needy family. Fabulous. If I had kids I would totally do that.

For a whole slew of ideas that require more time than money, check this out. One interesting (and sad) fact mentioned in this article:
Together, Canadians and Americans make up 5.2 per cent of the world’s population, but their portion of private consumption expenditures (the amount spent on goods and services per household level) is 31.5 per cent, or more than six times what constitutes a fair share, according to the Worldwatch Institute.
I feel guilty even though I've probably only spent 10% of what most people spend on Christmas. So I am baking gifts for several people this year instead of giving them trinkets they don't need or could buy for themselves. I don't know if I could ever go this far, but I hope that over time my faith and life will be marked more and more by radical commitment to the needs of others, not just at Christmas, but all year long.

1 comment:

Sharis said...

When we were little we bought gifts to give to Elf Lousie. I remember asking Mom. "well what should I get I don't know what they would want." Mom said, "they are kids just like you. just get something that you would want." And so i bought the "kid" whtever I wanted that year.