Friday, September 01, 2006

TLC from HIE

This was a tough week, with a grace-laced lining.

On Monday, my battle with a horrible sinus infection began. For a few days, I tried to force myself to continue my life and work here as if everything was fine (thus the trip to Limonal Tuesday), but little by little my resistance crumbled, my body lost its ability to fight, and my emotions slipped into a mixture of frustration and self-pity.

By Wednesday, I was worn out in every way so I came home early to rest. Around 6:30pm, someone called and asked me to bring my tape recorder and my camera to the office the following day to document a training and some testimonies that were going on. I'm sure I didn't sound very energetic, but I agreed. Ten minutes later, Hultner (Nica friend) called. People don't usually call each other here just to chat (cell phone minutes are expensive), so I asked him how I could help him.

No, I don't need anything. I just wanted to see how you are doing. You didn't look well this morning.” When I explained I was still feeling sick and tired, he said, “You know, Pamela, maybe you should go to the doctor....Seria bueno.” He then proceeded to tell me about his and his wife's doctor who lives 4 blocks away and who I could easily go see the following day. He even told me he would call and find out when might be a good time for me to go. (Doctors here keep office hours, and appointments are rare, but sometimes it can be helpful to know if it's a busy time or not.)

I don't know why, but this gesture of kindness moved me greatly and I almost started crying before I even hung up the phone—and I did cry for quite a while afterwards. Perhaps it was the contrast between the phone calls, or just how tired of being sick I was.

Thursday morning I felt just as awful, but I forced myself to go the office because I thought I was needed. By about 11am, I was done. Normal requests sounded demanding, and even sitting in an office was more than I could take. So one of the other staff drove me and Andrea home, after which we went to see the doctor Hultner had recommended. Doctor Diaz was a very cute man with some funny habits, the strangest of which was talking to himself while typing out my prescription.

After I took my medicine, I spent the afternoon doing as little as possible, and by evening felt my energy and my good humor returning (though my congestion was still as annoying as ever). Right before Andrea and I sat down to eat dinner, the phone rang. Who else, but Hultner calling to check on me.

How are you?”, he asked (in English). “I'm better,” I replied sincerely.

It's good to hear you smiling,” he said (again in English). I don't how he could tell, but I really was smiling.

After a short conversation, I told him, “Thank you for calling to see how I am doing. I really appreciate your kindness. I don't deserve friends like you.”

Yes, you do,” he replied.

“And thanks for talking to me in English...” I added. (Hultner is bilingual.)

You're welcome...I know it's easier for you to speak and understand...”

I can't get over how thoughtful this dear Nicaraguan brother is. Of all the people I know in Nicaragua (other than my roommate, who has been patient and grace-filled all week long), Hultner was the one who offered me the most compassionate attention and care. And today? Well, I'm still congested, but I can tell the medicine is working, and I am sure by the end of the weekend I will be as good as new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad that you met him. I hope everyone who takes on a position like yours meets a Hultner at some point.

Feel better!