Monday, October 15, 2007

clownin' around

There's very little I haven't seen on a Nicaraguan bus, but one of the more colorful oddities are the clowns. Yes, I said clowns. With all the festive garb you would expect, and slightly scary painted faces, two clowns boarded my bus back to Managua on Sunday afternoon with a brief (and hardly intelligible--for me, a not-native-Spanish-speaker) stand up routine. Still, for their effort (and courage--would I EVER board a bus as a clown? Hmmm. Let me think.), I rewarded them with a small donation. And in return, one of them gave me a big smile for this photo.

The incident was all the more amusing because just 12 hours earlier my roommate and I had been discussing with our cab driver her clown-related fears. Maybe don't look too closely at this photo, A. :-)

1 comment:

Sharis said...

Interesting. I have never really been afraid of clowns.