Saturday, October 27, 2007

highs and lows

High #1: My roommate and I took the GRE today, and I am thrilled to no longer be studying words like celerity and reliving the horrors of high school geometry. Hopefully the results in 6 weeks will at least provide me a decent shot at admission to the Masters program I am hoping to attend.

High #2: A delicious celebratory lunch at Ola Verde, a fabulous trendy restaurant where I ate some great beef and vegetables, a la china.

High #3: Tomorrow morning I leave for a week-long conference in Costa Rica with an awesome Nicaraguan woman named Elizabeth.

Low #1: I am getting up at 3:30am to take a 10 hours bus ride to San Jose tomorrow.

Low #2: Elizabeth hails from Somotillo, one of the communities most severely hit by the leptospiros epidemic, and she told me how she visited some of the rural areas where the people are very depressed, not to mention "consternada" (judged) now as their community is being called "dirty."

Low #3: The leptospirosis cases have risen from 311 to over 500 in the last 2 days. The hospitals are full. There is a shortage of the needed medicines to treat the symptoms, never mind address the root causes (infected animals and their droppings, contaminated soil and wells, etc.)

It's hard to not be excited about a trip to Costa Rica, but my heart is heavy with the national crises affecting so many of my friends and co-laborers here right now, and I wish there was something more I could do to help. Truly, I think helplessness is the absolute worst possible feeling that exists.

3 comments:

soupablog said...

can FFH mobilize emergency funds specifically for a given country in time of special need?

pamela said...

yes, we can, and we do. if anyone else is reading this right now, go to fh.org, and you can donate directly to help with this crisis from the home page.

peace.

Sara said...

What master's program are you interested in? I hope that you are happy with your GRE results. It is difficult to study something like Geometry that you have not had to think about in a long time. It is good that you had your roommate to study with.