Monday, January 07, 2008

sabores y olores

Since I'm unable to comment on the political madness occurring daily in this country in this forum, I'd like to tell you something about the daily flavors (sabores) and smells (olores) that make my mouth water and/or my nose wrinkle. I'll leave you to decide which is which.

I like lists, so here we go (in no particular odor).

1. Chicken roasting on outdoor grills being sold by neighborhood fritangas in the evening.

2. Fumes from bus exhaust pipes.

3. Greasy gallo pinto (the quintessential Nica dish consisting of rice and beans and varying quantities of oil).

4. The cold milky-chocolate beverage known as cacao.

5. Horse doo-doo on the road to work.

6. The delicate fragrance of bright orange and purple flowers hanging over cement walls.

7. The distinct onion-based scent of women who sell quesillos (cheese, cream, and grilled onions inside a warm tortilla).

8. Sweet, freshly baked tortas.

9. Crunchy fried banana strips with cabbage/tomato/lime juice salad.

10. Slightly decaying dog flesh. (Okay, so that's not daily, but we HAVE crossed paths with 2 dead dogs on the way to work in the last few months. And, well, the odor is something else.)

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Nice list! The last one is kinda startling in its reality! Yuck! Dog flesh! I'll take some of those cheesy oniony tortilla things though. Gosh those sound great.

The title of this post seems like a wonderful title for a poem for you to write, Pam. I have issued you a challenge. Will you take it?
:)

Anonymous said...

hey, i was just googling something and stubled onto your blog.
the link was to your entry at the end of march last year where you talked about isiah 55 and how u were looking for pines and myrtles. i got that verse last night and again tonight through 2 different ways. i was wonderin if anything came of it? did you find them? pls email me if u like
jimoit_01@hotmail.com

my name is jamie. im from australia

pamela said...

dawn--in english or spanish? given that the title is more poetic sounding in spanish, i might try for my first all spanish poem. i'll post it when i'm done...with a translation. ;-)

Dawn said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to it in both languages!

Sharis said...

I really want a quesillo now.