Saturday, November 12, 2005

from sieve to cup

In a short but poignant moment in a conversation with my former roommate amy last night, I made the observation that I have ceased to be a sieve. To me, a sieve represents a vessel that is often poured into, but contains very little. In my life as a sieve, the gifts of love/hope/peace/joy ran right through, for there were so many holes, you see. Holes made by broken promises, disappointments, pain, sin, bitterness, anger. People poured beautiful gifts into my life, but they disappeared before I could even recognize or appreciate them--never mind share them with someone else.

Over time, however, I have begun to notice that these beautiful gifts no longer slip so readily out of my life--many of the holes in my heart have closed, have healed, through the tender work of God in my life. As these holes have mended, my life has begun to feel less like a sieve and more like a cup (albeit chipped and cracked in places)--and the beauty and abundance of God's love have filled this earthen vessel with warmth and affection that I now desire to pour out to others...truly with the Psalmist I affirm, "my cup runneth over."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you feel like you are retaining more. Although I've invariably thought that you had more appreciation for life's gifts than many other people.

pamela said...

I think I've always appreciated life's gifts--but until the last year or so it was like pouring water into a cup of sand--my thirsty heart never felt like it got enough love to blossom--but now I think that's changing--the soil in my life has gone from sand to compost. (I mean that in the best possible way). : )