Friday, November 04, 2005

on hospitality

I live in a small apartment with a couch, a coffeetable, a fireplace, and lots of books. There’s not a lot of seating, nor is there a dinner table (not enough space for one, really). The porch that graces the front of my fourplex is actually larger than my living room, and subsequently becomes the location of choice when I have people over. Which is not that often, though I did host a lively New Year’s Eve party last winter—I have a great view of the downtown fireworks from my front yard (I use the term “yard” loosely).

Given my living situation, I’ve never considered myself to be one with the “gift” of hospitality. Yet in this book I am reading (Schools for Conversion), the author of one essay suggests that hospitality is not meant to be considered a “spiritual gift”, but a command to all Christians. The challenge is seeing hospitality as more than inviting people into your home and sharing your food with them. True hospitality is about being welcoming, creating a sense of comfort and belonging for people who are “strangers” or “aliens” to us. We can do that in word or deed, at home, work, or the middle of the street.

This command is a challenge to me and my standard modus operandi in life. This morning as I walked out my front door, I glanced at the small white index card taped to its surface. On it were written these words:
“For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt...” (Deut 10:17-19)
Lord, help me follow in your footsteps by lovingly welcoming everyone I encounter today.

2 comments:

Margaret Feinberg said...

I LOVE your blog....thanks so much for being a part of Fusion.... can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

That's something I can manage, I think.

Which is good, because my apartment might be even smaller than yours. (Silly overpriced housing market.)