Sunday, April 15, 2007

bats, magma, & a despedida

This weekend, Andrea and I joined our friends Brian and Andrea (I really think these masks we are wearing are going to become the next big fashion hit) on a night hike in the Volcan Masaya National Park (about 30 minutes south of Managua), where we saw not only a smoking, active volcano, a huge bat cave (where bats flew around us as we walked through), and a gorgeous sunset, but also LIQUID HOT MAGMA!
Yes, we were excited...
The view from the top of the hill we climbed
Probably the best sunset pic I have taken in 11 months...

This is the magma, in case you can't tell...it was WAY down deep in the crater, so pictures really don't do it justice...you will just have to believe me when I tell you it was AWESOME. : )

The sad part, however, is that Saturday night we went to Brian and Andrea's "despedida", or goodbye party, which was a blast, but also bittersweet, as it has been difficult for me to find kindred spirits so far from home.

B & A, if you are reading, know that I miss you already. KIT.

No comments: