Tuesday, April 17, 2007

from the letter

I had actually forgotten all about it. But lo and behold, a letter arrived this week from Soohwan, a letter I had written to myself to be sent to me one year after my training concluded in the DR.

Sometimes we know far in advance what our hearts will need to hear in a future moment. And so it is in this case that reading my own words brought back memories, images, strength, and tears. Excerpts follow...

"I pray that you will have truly known and believed God’s promise that He will never leave you or forsake you, that He has not abandoned you in your pain or struggle, but that He is mighty to save, that He is the Good Shepherd, a suffering servant who identifies with your weakness in every way and desires to life you up if you will only humble yourself and pray-and seek His face.

Remember that God is in Nicaragua just as close as He has been in the DR or San Antonio, and His grace is present with you and all the people you know there now.

Remember that people matter more than projects, and the process may matter more than the result.

Remember that relationships, trust-building, and peacemaking may be the most important things God works during your time in Nicaragua.

Remember that development is messy and transformation at the end of the day depends on the work of the Holy Spirit, not me.

Remember that communication with God is the most important thing for advancing His kingdom.

Remember that Jesus is the living water and the bread of life.

And He is with you always."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pamela, that gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes. What awesome things to remember. I'm glad to hear you're starting to plan your 1st trip back.

soupablog said...

wow. poignant