Thursday, April 12, 2007

my macroecon mini-rant

I am not an economist, so I can't speak to the economic ramifications of this policy, but as a lifelong student of politics and a Christian, I can say unequivocally with Francis Ng’ambi that what the IMF is doing in this area of salary capping as a condition for aid is not only bad for Nicaragua's national sovereignty, civil society development, and the future of thousands of childen in this country, but for every other developing nation forced to make policies to improve their country while being constrained by this kind of requirement as well.

Please don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of standards, accountability and benchmarks to ensure effective use of international funds. But preventing the hiring of new teachers (not to mention health workers and all other government paid staff) and limiting their salaries when they are already underpaid?

That is going too far.

No comments: