Sunday, June 24, 2007

day in diria

Diria is one of Nicaragua's "Pueblos Blancos" (White Villages), a group of small communities to the southwest of Managua, each known for some particular artisania (furniture, plants, chimes, pottery, etc). They all have really fun names that reflect their indigenous heritage--Masatepe, Diriomo, San Juan del Oriene, Niquinohomo, Catarina--and the old arts of folk dance and black magic are also said to be alive and well there.

My friend Wendy and I's afternoon trip to Diria was motivated by something else, however: a chance to see a spectacular view of the famous Laguna de Apoyo (a crater lake formed where dormant volcano lies) from another mirador (much less commercialized than the other one everyone goes to), and a chance to hike down to the shore to swim in its cool and refreshing water. There is no development on this side of the Laguna--just a small sandy beach and lots of trees. Gorgeous! We got more than we bargained for with the steep incline, though, and while I was able to make it to the bottom (45 minutes or so) on my own two feet, about halfway back up after our swim I sent Wendy ahead of me to bring her car down because otherwise we might have spent 3 hours making the climb due to my poor out-of-shape heart.


The coolest thing, aside from the gorgeous view and the pristine forest all the way down the path, was the family of monkeys we encountered on the way down, who of course immediately stopped doing anything when we approached to lock their wary eyes on their North American guests. (I'm just glad I got a photo--they were so cute! One even had a small baby!)


All in all, it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: