Tuesday, June 12, 2007

headspin

I almost passed out today. Literally.

After waiting 2 hours to see a doctor about my sinus and throat issues and being given a prescription, I proceded to walk back home (about 8 blocks away). On the way, I passed a pharmacy, so I went in to buy the medicine I needed. So far, so good.

The woman took my doctor's note ("would you like to know the price first or does it matter?" she asked. What?! When would you ever hear that in a US pharmacy?) and went to go look for the pills requested. All of a sudden, as I am standing by the counter waiting, the voices around me begin to seem very far away, like a distant echo...and the room starts to get real fuzzy...and the vibrations of the music playing feel like they are crushing my skull, and I think to myself, "so this is what it feels like when you are about to pass out".

I leaned over the counter to keep my balance and focused all my energy on maintaining consciousness; I somehow managed to take my change from the woman across the counter and toss it in my purse and walk out the door. "Focus, focus." I told myself. "At least pass out in your house, not on the streets of Managua." I walked quickly but carefully the last 2 blocks to my door, breathed a sigh of relief when I arrived, whereupon I immediately downed a glass of water, a piece of toast, and an apple.

I am pretty sure the entire incident was caused by (1) recovering from illness and (2) walking in the midday Nicaraguan sun on an empty stomach. But thank God, all it took was a little caloric intake to restore my sense of balance, hearing, and vision to normal. Crisis averted. : )

No comments: