Sunday, June 10, 2007

mombachito, take 2

So I was back in the mountains of Boaco this week, visiting the rural community of Mombachito, whose leaders were preparing to host their very first "Campana de Prevencion de Salud", focused on educating folks about how to lower the incidence of malaria, diarrhea, and other parasite-induced enfermedades.

When D and I arrived Wednesday afternoon, however, things did not look good. The committee had not met since our last visit 3 weeks prior, there was no event program, and the raffle of a canasta basica (food basket) appeared headed for disaster. D and I looked at each other in disbelief. How was it possible that so much time could have passed with so little progress?

At our committee meeting, we laid out the options. Either cancel the event and risk losing the confianza of the people who had been invited or go forward and make the best of the situation as it stands. After an extended discussion, the committee decided to go forward.

It was a learning opportunity for all. The committee learned that it could not rely on outsiders (me and D) to solve its problems, and that organization, compromise, and communication are the most important tools available for its success. For my part, I learned that a lot can be accomplished in one day when people are dispuesto a servir (ready to serve).

And so it was that from 10am-2pm Thursday, D and I worked alongside the committee (who walked long distances to the meeting despite the pouring rain) to prepare pamphlets, design signs, and figure out the logistics of the following morning. At the end of those 4 hours, it looked like everything was in order, and D and I spent the afternoon with Elisabeth (a community development promoter) visiting homes in the community. Which was fine until we realized that dusk was falling and none of us had brought a flashlight. Traversing the steep, rocky path (made more treacherous by the mud puddles remaining from the day's rain) in the daylight was difficult enough--but the situation soon became comical as the cloudy sky eliminated all source of light from the path on the way back down the hill, and D began yelling, "Carlitos, help! We can't see!" I am happy to report that we arrived home without serious incident other than a large quantity of mud on our sneakers.

Friday morning dawned sunny and clear, and after bathing in a nearby river, I joined the group of willing volunteers who came to blow up balloons, hang a mural, and prepare for the arrival of other community members. Given that it was the first event of this nature in the history of this community, I was pleased with the turnout of 25 people and the short presentations of the committee members on the health topics. (I also led a short biblical reflection on John 10:10 as part of the event; I definitely still get nervous when I speak in front of large groups in Spanish). The only hiccup was the raffle, which due to miscommunication and confusion wound up taking 2 hours to resolve. But at the end of the morning, I definitely felt like we had seen some development in the leaders and in the community.

Unfortunately, thanks to some pesky bugs that inhabit the coffee farm in the area and the climate shift, the 2 day trip left me with a fever and a serious head cold, from which I am still recovering.

No comments: