Saturday, September 27, 2008

musical interlude

One of the small but real things that I miss from home--yes, even 2+ years later--is the morning commute--and the radio that accompanied it. I was never faithful to any one station--I was just as likely to hum along to the pop country songs as the 80s favorites that I seriously think I still know all the words to. And during basketball playoff season, well, it was a sure bet that I would tune into the Sports talk radio shows for just long enough to get my Silver and Black fix.

Here in Nicaragua, I don't have a radio in my house--and I don't have a car, so I am totally at the mercy of the musical selections of whatever bus my roommates and I board in the morning. If I'm lucky, there's a little bit of Toad the Wet Sprocket or Genesis or Bryan Adams (I know, I know) to ease the transition...and if I'm not so lucky, it's pure Daddy Yankee and reggaeton the whole 45 minutes.

All of this to say that not having a radio has made me much more of a itunes and youtube music listener than I ever was prior to living here. And boy have my tastes evolved. I can count on one hand the artists I still listen to from my old library (Jennifer Knapp, Jars of Clay, and Caedmon's Call). But I have discovered a wealth of beautiful new music living here--Nicaraguan artists like Duo Guardabarranco, which I have mentioned before in this space--and a ton of other folk/indie, Latin, and Spanish Christian music--that I might have never known about otherwise.

Just as a small muestra (sample), I offer my current top 10 most played songs on itunes...

1. Your Love is Strong (Jon Foreman)
2. Lovers without Love (Joshua James)
3. Mercy of the Fallen (Dar Williams)
4. Tu poeta (Alex Campos) -- seriously, I hope if I ever get married, we play this song at our wedding
5. Falling Awake (Gary Jules)
6. Levantete y Resplandece (Marcos Barrientos)
7. My Song (Brandi Carlile)
8. Mis heridas (Katia Cardenal)
9. You Never Let Go (Matt Redman)
10. God of this City (Chris Tomlin)



And as a bonus, one of my favorite songs that I've only been able to find on youtube...Axel Fernando's Amo. (Yes, it's official. I am a sucker for poetic love songs. But even if you don't speak a word of Spanish, you will love this one--the piano is just stellar.)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

ooh, i liked hearing your music choices!! my favorite topic these days!! keep these posts coming!

pamela said...

aaw, thanks dawn. :-) i will try.