Friday, January 20, 2006

adventures in missing one's turn and discovering new places to listen to good music

So went my evening last night, as I attempted to navigate my way from my office to The Cove, a hole in the wall joint where you can eat, drink, wash your car, do your laundry, bring your kids, and oh, yeah, listen to live music almost every night.

For dinner I had the infamous fish tacos (spicier than I expected--not quite as good as Beto's) and spinach salad with mustard based dressing (better than I expected). I also snacked on someone else's fried mushrooms, and I definitely recommend that culinary delight. The place is a tad pricey, but it's owned by locals, so I really can't complain. While chowing down, I read a great article in the Current about my former neighborhood.

Then, at 8pm, my good friend Judson's band, West Kings Highway, started playing. The band consists of keyboard, guitar, and bass guitar--and a drum line that magically emits from a laptop where it has been prerecorded. It might sound a little weird, but the effect was almost as good as the real thing. The trio has a good combination of mellow and uptempo songs made interesting by vocal harmonies and keyboard creativity.

And a good time was had by all.

No comments: