Wednesday, January 25, 2006

doubt not, o me of little faith

Anytime I have an inkling of doubt about what I am about to embark on by leaving the country for 3 years, something happens to convince me that doubt is totally unwarranted. The latest example occurred yesterday, when my boss informed me that my leave request for 3 weeks in March will be granted with no portion unpaid, AND I get to keep my job until the end of April when I fly to Managua. The rationale for this decision? Apparently I have been a great employee and they feel it is "the least they can do" to honor the work I have done for them over the last 2 years. This assessment, despite my own feeling that I have done very little to advance things in my area of responsibility since I arrived.

Anyway, this is an amazing and very positive development for me financially, as it means I will definitely be able to contribute a significant amount to my own outbound expenses over the next 3 months. All I can say is, God is amazing.

And on that note...I was reading in this book last night about how God is so much bigger than anything we can imagine, and when we think we can box him into some set of theological principles, we are missing the whole point of the mystery of faith and the ongoing ways God is speaking today through the Bible, other people, circumstances, and all of creation. We can get so caught up in "reading the Bible" that we fail to "let it read us", and hear what is meant to speak afresh into our hearts and lives.

Today I think of the disciple Thomas, who needed to touch the risen Christ to believe, and I am struck by my own doubt, and how God has met me in it and yet again proven Himself worthy of trust and confidence.

No comments: