Wednesday, January 11, 2006

morning musings

For the first time in two years, I have a 20 minute commute to work (previously it was 5 minutes, as my apartment was a hop, skip, and jump from my office). This in itself is not odd. What is odd is how I have adjusted to this reality in 3 short days.

For the greater part of 2004 and 2005, I awoke at the last split second I could (typically between 7:30-7:45am), completed my whirlwind morning routine (which consisted of the absolute bare minimum--shower, face wash, toothbrush, clothing, and hairbrush), and dashed out the door at 8:20am (sometimes later), arriving at my office between 8:29-8:45am). Usually I would be right on time, but lately I was getting in the (usually unnoticed but mildly guilt-inducing) habit of showing up 10 minutes late every morning.

This week, I have gotten up between 6:30-7am (depending on morning meetings and which campus I had to be at), done all the basic things normal people do, and in addition, finished a full cup of coffee, skimmed the local paper, applied makeup, and washed the morning dishes. All this by 8am, when I calmly walk out the doorand start my car, which predictably gets me from my new home to my office by 8:20am.

Does anyone else find it odd that I suddenly have no problem waking up 30 minutes earlier than the past 2 years and I’m able to get out of the house even earlier than necessary?

The mysteries of the universe never cease.

No comments: