Monday, January 09, 2006

memorable moments in 2005

In chronological order:

Traveling to Houston on January 1st to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. (My friend Karen and I got up at 7am to make the drive after staying up til 1am the night before celebrating the new year. I don't know how we did it--oh wait. There was some Starbucks involved.)

Traveling to Phoenix in March to finalize my commitment to serving overseas with Food for the Hungry. I spent a week there and even got in a short hike with my fellow cohort members. Phoenix is beautiful! If I were ever to live somewhere else in the southwest, I would want to live there.

Weekend trip to Mexico in April. We framed and roofed an addition to a sister church in Piedras Negras.

Weeklong mission trip to La Meseta in the Dominican Republic in July. It was my third trip to that beautiful country and another amazing opportunity to serve and learn from the generous and loving people of that impoverished land.

Attending Emergent Cohort discussions beginning during the summer and making some wonderful new friends in the process, including Paul, Amy, Cliff, Susan, Casey, Mark, Mike, and Ginger.

Assisting with Hurricane Katrina evacuees in shelters around town in early September. What a devastating time for the Gulf Coast region--the effects of which I am sure we will be feeling for years to come.

My first trip to the hospital since birth when I was mysteriously bitten by a spider (or something) and could not walk for a week in mid-September! I had to drink the most disgusting stuff ever so they could do a CAT scan on me to see how far the poison spread internally. Thankfully, I had some great friends who took care of me during that time and I fully recovered.

Weekend trip to Houston to see an old college friend, Carolyn, in October. It was a great two days visiting with her. But, I decided after enduring the traffic chaos there for two days that I will NEVER move there.

My five-year college reunion. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BIG BEND! Quite possibly the most beautiful place in Texas. For more on that exciting weekend, check out my posts from November.

Dinner with Brian McLaren, one of the leaders in the "Emergent Conversation" and author of numerous books, including A New Kind of Christian and A Generous Orthodoxy.

Symphony outings with Byron, Amy, and Cara and Judson throughout the year--I think this year I set a record for symphony attendance with 5! Every time was magical and memorable. Music is an inspirational gift--what would the world be without it?

No comments: