Friday, January 13, 2006

star light, star bright

The January air is unusually warm tonight. We linger outside in the darkness, prolonging the memories we’ll recount years from now. Our eyes drift upward toward the pitiful array of stars that have somehow managed to outshine the city lights. You tell me where the constellations are, the ones that hide in the northern sky, beyond the clouds that have gathered high above. Stars were easier to see in that small town where you grew up than here, now.

Gazing at your face, a precious kind of light radiates from your twinkling eyes. Enveloped in that light are shades of kindness and gentleness, patience and peace, overflowing from your soul. Light like yours pierces clouds and brings joy to my heart.

A few parting words, a carefree hug and the evening is over. And I wonder, I wonder…

This flame that flickers in my soul? Does it mean anything to a brilliant star like you?

No comments: